P.O. Box 33153 London NW3 4DR Contact: TReeSUK1@gmail.com
Registered Charity 298054
What is the Tambopata Reserve Society(TReeS)?
TReeS is a UK registered charity and non-profit making organisation with over 25 years experience promoting tropical rainforest conservation and sustainable development in the Madre de Dios river basin, in south-east Peru. The particular focus is on the Tambopata river basin and its associated protected areas:
* Bahuaja-Sonene National Park (BSNP)
* Tambopata National Reserve (TNR)
TReeS aims to promote and support –
* biodiversity conservation;
* community-led projects relevant to the sustainable use of natural resources;
* sound environmental management;
* environmental education; and
* research relevant to the above.
TReeS responds to local initiatives which address these aims. In this way, we generate awareness of environ-mental issues, support local motivation and build local capacity to generate solutions to environmental and developmental problems. The majority of TReeS’ support has been for –
* native communities’ initiatives on health care and the re-evaluation of traditional forest practices;
* operational costs and community consultations on development issues by regional Federations
such as those for indigenous peoples (FENAMAD) and for local farmers (FADEMAD);
* community projects such as eco-tourism initiatives promoting the sustainable use of local resources;
* field studies, research expeditions and publications in the region by young Peruvian biologists.